The list of programs underway at the Norfolk Historical Society continues to grow. We now have a visible and accessible location downtown on the second floor at the Taylor-Whittle House (corner of Freemason & Duke Sts.), and a new telephone number (757-640-1720). Come by and visit us, but call first to be sure someone is there.
Discussions have begun with the Corps of Engineers to extend the Agreement for our administration of Old Fort Norfolk, which expires on June 30, 2006. We are also in touch with the Harbor’s Edge Retirement Community, set to move into the new 17 story building next door later this year. We see the folks at Harbor’s Edge as major players in the future of the Fort and its structures.
Partnering with the Friends of Historic Houses at the Chrysler Museum has been beneficial to both organizations. Working with John Christiansen, their new education guru for historic properties, we are developing a series of lectures on area history at the Chrysler’s Kaufman Theater for every “Second Wednesday.” We’ll kick off these Norfolk History Museum Lectures in September and November.
One promising new initiative is our committee on Historic Places of
Worship, chaired by Bill Miner. It is considering the age of the organization
and/or the age of the buildings as possible determinants of the initial
invitees. Secretary Peggy McPhillips has located Norfolk directories
listing seventeen places of worship in 1860 and fifteen in 1867. They
might form the nucleus for developing a publication and/or a tour. Response
to the dues renewal in December has been encouraging. Receipts to date
total $7524 from 154 members, a substantial increase from 2005. Obviously,
our success in energizing Norfolk history projects and programs will
depend directly on the resources available to us. Most important are
the supportive people on our roster. 2007 is almost here. Use the website
or call us (757) 640-1720 to help sign up new members.