Fort Norfolk History - 1884-85
In November 1884, the Bureau of Ordnance prepared a plat of Fort Norfolk identifying the buildings within its walls (Bureau of Ordnance 1884) (see above). Although other documentary evidence suggests that explosive materials had been removed from the fort by 1880, the 1884 plat seems to suggest otherwise. The plat depicts all of the buildings standing inside the fort, and two are identified as housing "loaded shells." However, this may simply indicate the former use of the buildings (see above). In 1885, a plan was drawn showing the lightning rods affixed to the powder magazine building. The purpose for the 1885 plan is not certain, but it does show the location of the lightning rods along with details of the fixtures (Bureau of Ordnance 1885) (see below).
Back, Before 1794, 1794, More before 1794, More 1794, First Fort, 1795, 1796-1800, 1801-1806, 1807, 1808-1811, 1812, 1813, 1813-1814, 1816, 1817-1818, 1820-1821, 1824, 1835, 1842-1844, 1845, 1849, 1851, 1852, 1853, 1854, 1854 Keeper's House, 1854 Changes, 1858, 1859, 1861, 1862, 1864, 1875, 1884, 1893, 1903, 1923, Next
Source of Information
A CULTURAL RESOURCE MANAGEMENT PLAN OF FORT NORFOLK, NORFOLK, VIRGINIA prepared for U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Norfolk District by the College Of WILLIAM & MARY, November 1995 under Contract No. DACW65-94-Q-0075.
David A. Clary's Fortress America: The Corps of Engineers, Hampton Roads, and United States Coastal Defense (1990)
William Bradshaw and Julian Tompkins's Fort Norfolk, Then and Now (n.d.).
The Norfolk Public Library vertical file of recent newspaper articles on Fort Norfolk. Including articles by James Melchor of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers that describe archaeological and architectural findings on the fort property.