1902 History of the Monument.
About the first day of January, 1868, an effort was begun to raise funds for the erection of a monument in Norfolk to the memory of Confederate soldiers and sailors.
On the 22nd of February, 1899, the cornerstone of the beautiful monument which now stands on Market Square was laid with Masonic rites in the presence of a great concourse of people. The shaft is 50 feet high and is to be surmounted by a statue eight and one half feet high, and there will be four figures at the base six feet and nine inches high, on one face of the monument is the Confederate Battle Flag and on another the Great Seal of the Confederacy.
The monument was erected under the auspices of the Pickett Buchanan Camp Confederate Veterans and is a beautiful testimonial to the devotion and valor of the Confederate Dead.
Historic Documents related to the monument
1895 Monument of Peace, 1895 Kirmess, 1897 Raising Money, 1899 Ground Braking, 1899 Plans For Laying The Corner Stone, 1899 Laying The Corner Stone, 1902 History of the Monument, 1907 Standard Bearer,
Source of Information
HISTORY of NORFOLK COUNTY, VIRGINIA, AND REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS, EDITED AND COMPILED BY COL. WILLIAM H. STEWART, 1902.