Fort Norfolk is the last remaining of 19 harbor-front forts authorized in 1794 by President George Washington. The fort's four-acre site overlooks the Elizabeth River and includes earthwork embankments, ramparts, a dungeon, officers' quarters, powder magazine, barracks, and guardhouse. Most structures in the fort date to 1810.
The Norfolk Historical Society began making restorations and giving tours of the fort in 1991. Norfolk Historic Society tours starting June 15 till October 1: Sunday Noon - 4:00 PM
Louis Guy Lecture Series
The second Wensday of each month the Norfolk Historic Society will present a lecture on local history.